Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Coronet - Nadia

So right after I finished Simona's barony scroll, I agreed to do a fairly last minute coronet for Nadia whom I adore.  I was kindly asked to do a Hufflepuff themed coronet.  So onward this Slytherin went to make a coronet...

I started using a 1.5 inch veg tann leather strap I had in my stash and used my CB coronet template to space the points.  I like the center of the coronet being the "dip" between points so it's not as noticeable when it's off center while wearing it.  I was told to make a 24.5 inch coronet and allowed the extra spacing to be on the two "ends" of the coronet because that number just seemed off. Inside edges of the leather was beveled to smooth out the lines and create a more finished look.

The main body was dyed USMC black and the bottom accent line was tapped off.  There was some dye bleed through so I used two layers of white gesso to create a smooth surface for the yellow that would eventually go there.  The yellow was a liquitex acrylic.

Holes for the head pins were dremelled into the points of the leather.  The 1 in head pins were inserted through the agate stone beads and adhered into the holes using my good friend E6000 adhesive.  Those beads would not be going anywhere.

Marieta created a badger outline stencil for me using a pic I found online.  Those were outlined in white liquitex and the black on the bodies of the badgers was gone over again in paint.  I ended up going over the entire black part of the coronet in a light coat of black liquitex to reduce streaking and some leather imperfections that were showing through the dye.

Two holes were punched in the back so it could be tied closed.  I sent this on it's merry with Her Majesty for a matte spray finish before it was handed off to Nadia.

Mother flerkin badger are hard to paint.

I love his chubby badger butt.

1 comment:

  1. So lovely ❤️❤️ I really enjoyed reading about your process! It is such a beautiful piece. I am very thankful for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete