Monday, March 27, 2017

QoC - Cellach Dhonn

Recipient: Cellach Dhonn inghean Mhic an Mhadaidh
Assignment: Queen's Order of Courtesy
French translation: Kirsa Oyutai
Hand: carolingian miniscule
Specs: gouache on pergamenata, 23k gold gilding
Source: Book of Kells, Gospel of St. Matthew


Finished scroll


Close up of the capital "N"

Original from Book of Kells coloring book.

This was my second full attempt at gilding and on a much larger scale.  The original for this was actually from a Book of Kells coloring book.  I tried to cross reference the colors associated with it to the original manuscript page which I found...and then lost the link to.  My internet-search-fu has since failed me at fining the link to the original.  The knot work on for the birds of the top was simplified to only be one large thread and one accent thread.  Originally I had thought to keep it simple and have the interior of the N's legs one solid color.  After doing the gilding and painting of the birds, I decided just having the flower wheels on the interior was going to be too plain.  The beast-knots in the interior were hand sketched/simplified from the originals and all the detailing of the squares and flowers where free-handed while painting.

Overall, I'm happy with the piece.  I think there are some things I could have done better for scaling of the capital to the body.  Painting was actually easy and the consistency was spot on.  The gilding I'd like to practice more because of issues I had with making the miniatum flow nicely (so there are ripples in the gold that to me are noticable).

Words were by me and read as follows:
"We speak the languages of man, but also many others such as the language of blades or of arts or of service. These are languages spoken through deeds, boldly on event fields or quietly at home. There is one special language in which Cellach Dhonn inghean Mhic an Mhadaidh is well versed. It is the language spoken when addressing a high noble lord or the youngest fussing babe. Its message is spread by helping hands, a mischievous grin, and sometimes even by the gift of fudge so plentiful not even the fearsome Eastern army could consume it all in one sitting. This is the language spoken by the heart of the kingdom; the language of courtesy. It is with great joy that We Anna, induct Cellach Dhonn into Our Queen's Order of Courtesy. Done at Our 12th Night Celebration."

No comments:

Post a Comment